Wednesday, 6 March 2013

VisDare: Whimsy




"Look at them carefully, my little gladiator," he murmured, "look how they keep moving toward their destination."
"But daddy they are soooo slow. Gladiators are fast. I want to be fast." 
"Speed isn't everything Lisha. You need stealth and presence of mind. You need to have eyes on the back of your head."
Lisha frowned as her five year old brain tried to superpose a picture of her eyes but at the back of her head. She didn't like what she saw.
"Why do I need eyes at the back of my head?" she questioned. 
"So you can stop me from doing this!" The young girl squealed in delight as her father picked her up and twirled her around and around in their own little heaven, in the middle of nowhere, away from harm.

Alisha inspected the abandoned ruins with indifference- even as memories threatened to knock her down and run her over. 
"Are you sure this is the place?" Ryan asked. "It doesn't look like a 'place' to me, never mind the perfect house." He dusted off the cobwebs that had settled on his jacket and gave Alisha a sideward glance. "You don't have to come in if-"
"The stairs to the basement are somewhere out back." She cut him off and strode purposefully ahead.
Delving in memories is for the weak. Gladiators look ahead, never behind.
The voice of her father pierced her heart.
I will avenge you Daddy. 

Read more about Ryan, Alisha and their around-the-world-quest here.

7 comments:

  1. Ah, very clever working this picture into your story.

    Nicely done.

    Cheers!
    JzB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The snails slowed me down but I figured a loop hole! :)

      Delete
  2. I love how your story keeps growing layers with each episode. Write on, my friend, write on!! Alisha and Ryan obviously have a long history, both as a unit and as individuals...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just realised that I didn't give any backstory for Alisha. Guess its a bit confusing right now but I hope I'm gonna set this straight soon. Thanks! :D

      Delete
  3. What a great scene. I need to go back and get caught up on their story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharry! Hope you enjoy the past installments as well. :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely excerpt, thanks for sharing :)

    Stopping by to welcome you on board the A to Z Challenge April 2013
    Look forward to your challenge posts!

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...