Saturday, 5 April 2014

Day 5: Elite

This year's theme is a story divided amongst 26 posts. Fear not though, the pieces can also be read as stand along flash/poetry.

 




“I know it's some rich, spoiled brat.” Maryam says, unable to control her anger over the accident that took the lives of five innocent, homeless kids. I try to tell her that things like these are commonplace in our country. She fumes and mutters all the way to the flyover, under which the accident happened and under which we were going looking for stories for our assignment.

6.04.2014
The group of kids that greets us here is different. They are quiet, the deaths of their peers still hanging about in the air. They don't ask us for money. They don't rush towards us. They sit silently in groups and watch us; a dozen glassy eyes weighing our every movement. Attempts at conversation are met with a frosty silence. Attempts to bribe the story out of them are met with glares. Soon enough Maryam realizes the fruitlessness of it all and suggests we return.
Halfway back, she remembers something and tells me to wait while she rushes back. Fifteen minutes later she comes running, slightly out of breath.
Let's go.”
Day 2, wasted.
~M 
 Intrigued? You can read the story till now by clicking M's tab above. Drop a comment and tell me what you think. Leave a link to your blog and I'll visit you soon.

13 comments:

  1. Such a horrific event, the over-privileged everywhere need bringing down a peg or two. I wonder what Maryam ran back to do?
    Sophie
    Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles - A to Z Ghosts
    Fantasy Boys XXX - A to Z Drabblerotic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its an unfortunate reality in this country! Thank you so much Sania for bringing it out there for the world to see..
    <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by on the 5th day of the #atozchallenge while looking for fellow writers. Congratulations on your blog. I know you are going to make new blogging friends this month. I'm writing about gardening and related topics and having a wonderful time. If you have time or interest, come and visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good story. I tried following lot of new blogs today and my blogger won't let me for some reason. It says I've reached my 300 limit. I don't know how to fix it so I can add more. I'll be back to join and follow you when I figure it out. Oh and thanks for visiting my blog...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Cathrina. Hope to see you again!

      Delete
  5. Such a terrifying event but stunningly put up. I wish to read further about this.

    - Kripali
    (AJ's wHooligans)
    Sumptuous Living
    A2ZFiction

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh! Such a wonderful ambiance. You leave me salivating for more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Intriguing and leaving me wanting to know the rest . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrifying and I wana know what happens next

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great story snippet. I love the mystery of it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you write so well! The mystery is still alive...why did Maryam go back?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...