Wednesday, 9 April 2014

Day 8: Help denied

This year's theme is a story divided among 26 posts. Fear not though, the stories can be read as stand alone pieces of flash/poetry.



The number belongs to a Mr. Raj. The very, rich, well-connected man that I had feared. Within minutes our child witness confesses to being bribed my Maryam to lie and the 'breaking news' changes.
"Young activist mentally ill." Scream the headlines along with a statement by a psychiatrist who claims to be treating her. And just like that both our worlds, mine and hers, begin to shatter.
"It's a lie M! They are making things up. I do visit the doctor once in a while but its nothing serious. And they must have held the poor kid under duress, forced him to change his statement!" Maryam says with tears in her eyes. "You have got to help me M. Please."
I know the smart thing to do is quietly back down. You don't mess with the powerful in this country. I try to explain that to her.
"He'll ruin you M. Be practical. This is not our fight. You have to think about-"
She silences me with a glare. Her eyes flash with betrayal.
"Maryam, listen to me..." I say.
"No. You're right. This isn't your fight. But it is mine." She turns around and stomps off. I almost yell at her to stop. But I know she would never listen to the voice of reason.

9.04.2014
No.
~M 

Intrigued? You can read more of M's story by clicking on M's tab above. Drop a comment and tell me what you think. Leave a link to your blog and I'll visit you soon!
  

5 comments:

  1. There aren't many things that make me really angry, but big powerful people stomping on little ones does.
    Very powerful.
    Sophie
    Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles - A to Z Ghosts
    Fantasy Boys XXX - A to Z Drabblerotic

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am in love with M's character...
    You catch the reality in the state of affairs, especially in India!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, trouble!! Thanks for sharing (;

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to go back and read the whole story. In fact I read it twice. I'll be back, Sania, to see what happens next. Great way to do the A to Z. Maria from Delight Directed Living

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be going on the read the entire story. Great going. Stopping by from the A to Z Theme reveal. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...